The simplicity of making connections is my favorite thing
about teaching. I love when a student blurts out their connections because they
are so excited they can’t keep it inside. I don’t like the blurting, but I
thoroughly enjoy when students understand the connectedness of our world.
Social studies is often a time when students see the network of knowledge. The
idea of leading them through guided inquiry projects excites me. Maybe I’m naïve
because I haven’t experienced 160 days with the same students, but the
potential of classroom set up in the Ladybug lounge way with students
discovering and exploring topics of their choice is thrilling. Portfolios of
student work and the other assessment ideas seem so logical. I’m drawn to the
simplicity of this organized chaos and look forward with anticipation to the
day I can foster this kind of learning with my own students.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't think you're naive...I think you may hear a lot of resistance and nay-saying when you get into the 180-day grind. It is a different way of thinking about how learning happens and who decides what is important enough to learn. There are definitely things we can learn from veterans and experience, but you also have lots of great knowledge and ideas to work from.
ReplyDelete