I completely agree with the authors’ point that writing
instruction should be frequent, intensive, explicit, and individualized. So
many teachers assume that writing workshop is a hands-off time where writers
sit wherever they want and write whatever they want with no accountability.
This is just not true. I would argue that writing workshop is more hands-on
because you as the teacher are meeting with each child at an appropriate level
for them.
I started the list on page 6. This would make a great
mini-lesson on the purposes for writing. While reading the suggestions, I saw a
poster titled, “Why do we write?” If given enough think time and maybe prompted
with some well-phrased questions, the students could come up with most of these
reasons. If they have ownership over their purpose for writing and a voice in
their writing, I see all writers succeeding at a higher level.
I also really appreciated the sample lesson plans. Sometimes
writing workshop seems very complicated and chaotic. Reading her plans assuage
several fears and inspired me to embrace the idea of empowering writers to
create in their own way.
Agreed about writing workshop being more hands-on. This can be the part that is the scariest (and often is, for me!) But it is also the most rewarding, when you see the process that writers make through a piece, to create something they are deeply proud of.
ReplyDelete