Thursday, September 13, 2012

Ray 11-13

One of my favorite things about blogging is the ability to go back and view what I wrote about a topic years later. If I had my reflections in a class notebook, they would be packed in the back of my closet with all of my other undergraduate notes. I'm saving them for the day when I have a classroom and need to find "that idea we talked about in that class that day".

However, having the ability to view posts from yesteryear allowed me to see the things I was pondering as I read through Ray the first time. I liberally mark up my textbooks with notes in the margins, boxes, underlines, double underlines, and the rest of my complicatedly organized system. One of the questions I had all throughout my notes and blogs is how does this work in real life? Reading about it is inspiring but training students to write about this that matter, fill their own time, write for an audience, etc. seems daunting.

The second time through I was surprised at how much I missed the first time. Maybe I was too busy or reading too quickly. Either way, I love how Ray gets really practical with her advice. While it used to overwhelm me, I think picking from a huge list of options is easier than creating something from theory. Asking students to "simply carry on with the writing lives and projects they have going, carrying with them what they have learned in the lesson" is awesome! That solves the differentiation issues completely. I'm meeting the students where they are as writers, coming from the perspective of another writer, and challenging them to reach further with advice centered around THEIR writing instead of my topic.

My only remaining issue is how does this fit with the time-intensive ELA common core standards? Does writing workshop need to be completely separate from the CCGPS ELA time? Is that possible?

I'm also mulling over the idea of doing writing workshop as a Daily 5 rotation. It could work because I could do my focus lesson at the beginning of the period instead of the CCGPS mini-lesson. The students have choice over their time (except for a scheduled guided reading group for one rotation period). If every rotation is only 20 minutes though, I worry that they won't get in a grove in that short amount of time. Also, when will I conference? I have about two days per week when the guided reading group is more of an independent literature circle. Maybe I could conference with writers during those two days and do guided reading groups the other three? Scheduling writing has to be a priority, so I'll just need to remember that when I set my daily classroom schedule.

2 comments:

  1. It's fascinating to watch you think this through, trying to sort out how it all fits together. I am curious to hear more about the CCGPS lessons you mention - are they packaged in? I guess I don't see too much of a departure between Ray and the CC standards. I haven't started that writing and the CC Standards book yet, though...

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking forward to reading your thoughts on the readings.

    ReplyDelete