Thursday, September 13, 2012

Ray 1-4

"where they have been as writers and on where they are going."

As a teacher, this is the hardest part for me. I can teach mechanics all day long, dozens of different ways until someone gets it. I struggle to teach how to think about writing. For me, and I think most, those thoughts come through practice. I wrote, then I thought about it. The more I wrote, the deeper I analyzed. The deeper I examined, the better I wrote. I'm not claiming to be close to the world's best writer, but I do think about my words and challenge my choices.

My favorite thing about writer's workshop is that it's not another version of the 5 Step Process with a 5 paragraph essay at the end. Ray says, "When I say, 'I'm writing,' my husband knows what that means." We all have a style of writing. Mine is semi-chaotic. I start with a list (if even that) then write everything related to those topics in paragraphs. I revise for excessiveness [there was a huge sidenote here that was too ironic to leave], and finally edit for grammar and mechanics. My teachers hated my process, but I understand the kids who says, "I can't think of what to put in my bubble map." 

How do I as a teacher encourage that student to pursue their own writing process and trust that they will produce quality writing? I guess that's the whole writing workshop deal... letting them go and advising along the way instead of dictating every pencil scratch.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it is about giving the student some freedom to muck through their process. We can, of course, make suggestions for different strategies for students who are having troubles. But, they retain the right to make decisions.

    I wonder why your teachers hated your process? What do you think? Would you be frustrated with you as a student? (I would be frustrated with me!)

    ReplyDelete