It's official. I am student teaching in New Zealand this fall. I leave on August 26th and will return on November 21st. I'm still feeling a HUGE range of emotions but overall I'm excited and very peaceful about going.
I will teach at Point View Primary in the city of Howick, a suburb of Auckland. My mentor teacher is Kay Morris, and she has 24 five-year-old students in her classroom. While this might sound like the beginning of a nightmare for some of you, I could not be more thrilled. I love teaching, and although I sometimes panic about being ready, I'm excited to jump in and start.
My home stay family sounds amazing. Gerard and Tina have two sons: 7-year-old Simon and almost 5-year-old Daniel. Their house is a less than ten minute walk away from Point View. We've emailed back and forth several times, and I'm so encouraged by their open and friendly personalities. Tina is a teacher at another school down the road, and her mentor teacher was also Kay Morris several years ago. Small world?
The more I research about things to do and places to see, the more excited I get. It's going to be an adventure. I love teaching, traveling, and being surrounded by kids, so I feel like this entire experience combines all of my favorite things. Will it be hard to leave my family, friends, and the great city of Athens? Yes. Will I miss being part of birthdays/things that happen here? Yes. The Lord has been so great to remind me of his faithfulness though. So many times in the bible, his people have a spirit of doubt or fear... Adam and Eve, Moses and the Israelites, Abraham, Elijah (skip a few years)... Jesus's disciples. Yet the Lord showed up for all of them and spoke. So I guess that's what I'm praying for... that in this season of being alone in a different land, that God will speak to me. I want to learn how to dwell more deeply with him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What an opportunity! I'm excited for you! Keep us posted with lots of pictures and enjoy yourself!
ReplyDeleteThis is amazing news, Rebecca. What an adventure you are setting out on - it will bring so much to your students, too!
ReplyDelete