Monday, February 1, 2010

Writing Environment

This picture reminded me of the question “What could I teach students in this study that is just really cool stuff?” on page 198. My teaching personality naturally drifts toward the really cool stuff. I could imagine this student taking his writing notebook to the unusual places in order to fully understand what he’s writing. He is so inquisitive!

My fifth grade students spent about an hour writing on Thursday and Friday. They are writing a persuasive essay in support or against having vending machines in the school cafeteria. It was such an enjoyable experience to watch them argue and think and argue and write together. When I read chapter nine, I was stuck comparing my fifth grade class to the book’s description of a workshop. I love the five ways of thinking about teaching and learning in the workshop.

The environment is very writer friendly. We have a couch for individual work, a small group table for students who need to bounce ideas off each other,

and another table for conferencing. Some students chose to work independently at their seats, but most are actively involved with the room as they write. The students pursue whatever and whoever they need in order to write. I love this aspect of having older students!

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca, I love the pictures! Excellent way to illustrate and connect what you are reading with what you are seeing. Just be sure not to post any faces.
    Glad you are enjoying the older students. All kinds of interesting points to all of them.

    ReplyDelete