Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Changing the Writing Atmosphere

Two big thoughts came to mind as I read the assigned chapters:

  1. Suppose a student writes about a meaningful topic that is harmful to another student. Is it fair to silence that opinion because it does not gel with the classroom community? What if the student writes about violence to voice something real and tangible in their life? We are saying, “You can write about anything except these topics which are hurtful to other students.” I realize this sounds extremely anti-censorship, but I struggle to understand how we can encourage our students to “do powerful things in the world in which they live” when we limit their writing to unoffensive topics. Can we somehow establish a system within writing workshops for public and private writing? Maybe private writing gets folded toward the center of the notebook with a paper clip?
  2. Thinking of censorship led me to question our definition of fairness. When I read the two paragraphs at the top of page fourteen, I thought “Fairness takes on a different look.” I see a parent complaining about their lazy child’s C in comparison to another student’s A. If “quantity is what matters” and grades are based on whether a student gave their best effort, we shatter any previous notion of normal in the classroom. I love these ideas because it will take something drastic to redeem classroom writing. Grading based on how well a student develops their writing identity (page 33) would transform an elementary school in profound ways!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rebecca.

    I like the look of your blog, first of all! Neat template.

    I appreciate your concern about censorship and how we help kids share in ways that are respectful and safe for everyone. I took part in writing a paper about this kind of thing recently, and we came to the conclusion that when we say "safe" classrooms we mean classrooms where it is "safe to" talk about all kinds of things not "safe from" all the difficult parts of life. Like it or not, intended or not, we are going to say and do things that offend or hurt others. I hope I build a classroom where someone who was offended could respectfully express that in response to what I did. These are important conversations to have.

    I'm reminded of a chapter in Stephanie Jones's book "Girls, Social Class, and Literacy" where she talks about bullying. A student in the class had a bully for a father, and Jones said some things that shocked me about how to respond to this. Instead of just bashing bullying (which would be bashing this kid's father), we have to step back and allow conversations to happen.

    You are really engaging with some of the deeper issues of teaching this way and I hope you keep asking good questions.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete